Friday 18 May 2012

Burda Skirt- 5/2012

Normally this time of year i wear brighter, lighter summer clothes, and i want to be in summer clothes making mode. But the weather it just so far from summer at the moment; this skirt is very appropriate. I actually had to cycle to work in heavy sleet and snow on Tuesday, the weather is horrid. Where is summer?

Burda Skirt 5/2012 118 119

I made this aubergine skirt from the May addition of the Burda magazine using pattern number 118. I cut a burda size 38 grading to 40 at the waist. I also cut the skirt to the same length as the 119 skirt. The skirt has come out really well, although i usually say that and then change my mind. This is one item i can see my self wearing all the time. I feel so comfortable in it. 

  Burda Skirt 5/2012 118 119

It was quite challenging to make; as i really struggled with the instructions and i spent a lot of time seam ripping. I have read a lot about burda magazine patterns being hard to understand and now i understand why. They assume a lot of sewing knowledge, there are no diagrams as with paper patterns, and the written instructions just did not explain in enough detail how the pieces were to go together.

Burda Skirt 5/2012 118 119

 I missed off the welts on the back skirt. I cut them out, read the instructions about how to apply them but just could not comprehend what they were saying. So after a long search for instructions in books, internet and on the Burdastyle website i found nothing. So i ended up leaving them off. I also found it really hard to understand their instructions for the zipper, but after studying an old pair of jeans and reading up on it i eventually figured it out.

Burda Skirt 5/2012 118 119


 Well that was a long rant about the instructions, overall i think the pattern is great. and maybe with a bit more practice ill become more proficient at using burda patterns. I am making a shirt from the same issue. So far i have found the instructions for that to be quite simple. 

Burda Skirt 5/2012 118 119

Well that's all for now..... off to work on my shirt.


4 comments:

  1. The Skirt looks great.
    Regards Elke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am mid making my version of this skirt, had to laugh - just given up on putting welts on too and now struggling with zipper , examining my jeans zip just before going to the web to google how - that's how I ended up here ! Like the colour of your skirt - off to try again with my zip now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the skirt. When using Burda patterns i don't even bother reading the instructions anymore unless i have to. I cant wait to see your version appear on your blog.

      I live in this skirt and have have cut the fabric for another skirt, but this time i am putting buttons down the front instead of a zipper.

      Delete